• smfe.exe [2.8MB] or
Version 0.12, (26/Jun/2005), tested with MAME 0.97b
• you may optionally get smfe_data.rar
[0.9MB] if you have trouble creating your own.
• No installation needed, just run smfe.exe. You must also have mame.exe (or mamepp.exe).
• Check "Help->Getting Started" on how to read game data et.c
• You can sort the table by multiple columns with shift+clicking on their headers
• smfe creates smfe_data.dat which contains all displayed table information, and smfe.ini which contains saved options
• You must remove the old .dat file when you change smfe versions
• If mame.exe can find MAMEINFO.dat, it will use it and smfe will display recommended games.
||You can get the sources (v0.9) smfe09-src.rar.
To compile it you will need Borland C++ Builder, Russian Extensions (RX),
||A shell script (for unix) getrom to download a rom from
www.mame.dk. Usage: "getrom <romname>". If you don't have the
"socket" program, use
netcat.Update: www.mame.dk has shut down.
• smfe11.rar [818Kb] for MAME 0.83
• smfe09.rar [818Kb]
Version 0.9, (30/Sep/2004), tested with MAME 0.83
• smfe07.zip version 0.7 (2/Sep/2002),
for MAME 0.61
- Simple means simple to use (hopefully)!
- Configurable image locations
- Supports PNG, JPG, TIF, GIF, BMP & .ICO formats
- Configurable mame.exe location
- Supports network drives & UNC paths (\\hostname\sharename\directory)
- Can configure various MAME options for
video, audio and input options and directory locations.
- Also supports using the mame.ini configuration file
- Reads supported MAME games from the MAME executable
- Checks for rom existence in the system (fast)
- Checks for rom validity (not so fast)
- Displays recommended games
- Supports nplayers.ini parsing (# of players each game supports)
- Supports HISTORY.DAT parsing (various game info)
- Saves Table data into file to avoid rerunning time-consuming operations
- Can kill the mame executable and change back screen resolution in case
MAME hangs up. (Ctrl+K)
- Tested only with Windows 2000
- Table columns include: ROM name, description, Year, Manufacturer,
Clone Info, Played times, Rom Size, Emulated CPU, Game type
- Supports multi-column sort (shift+click)
- For each game there is additional info displayed which includes
recommended games and other game info.
- Can export all data in .XLS, .HTML and .TXT formats
- Options&paths are saved in smfe.ini, and game info/availability
in smfe_data.dat at the same directory as the smfe.exe.
It does not use the registry.
- Can run from read-only (CDROM/DVDROM) media just
generate the .dat file once and place along it with the .exe and .ini
- Record audio in .mp3 format (HELP!)
- Display the main form rotated. This can already be done (with the
driver options) if you have an nvidia card like GeForce.
- Display only available roms in the table. Note: You can sort by the first column and have your available games on top. You can have a second sorting criterion by shift+clicking on the table column.
- Mail me for ideas
Click image to view the full-size capture.
- 26/Jun/2005:version 0.12. Fixed bugs/typos, changed how
verifysets is called, improved (hopefully) menu layout, fixed a bug which
prevented games to start after a search for their name was performed.
- 30/Sep/2004:version 0.9. Now working with mame 0.83,
nplayers.ini support + small bug fixes
- 02/Sep/2002:version 0.7. Fixed bugs with input devices. Thanks to
Ric Kalford for the bug report.
- 23/Jul/2002:version 0.6. 2 new menu options: 1) autosave "played"
field is now optional to improve loading times and 2) "save table data now".
Fixed "save colun sizes" (hopefully). Added an "Auto fill" button when setting
the executable/image/rom paths. Added new column: "Game Category"
- 18/Jul/2002:version 0.5. bug fixes + support for read-only media + display romset statistics + more debug output in console window
- 04/Sep/2001:version 0.4. Changed gamelist retrieve timeout + minor bug fixes
- 04/Sep/2001:Project progress will be delayed until 15 September due to other work.
- 25/Aug/2001:8402 page hits, 1200 downloads so far! unbelievable!
- 19/Aug/2001:version 0.3. First public version. Added some confirmation menus + screen resolution restoration code + minor bug fixes
- 16/Aug/2001:version 0.2. First public SMFE release (with announcement to freshmeat)
- 09/Aug/2001:Started writing the program.